My favourite cake recipe
Recipe – If you are looking for a sweet thing to eat that is home made but don’t have a lot of time well here it is – Banana and Date Cake. This sugar-free cake is yum yum yum! Having made this on the weekend and of course had to do the taste test before sharing with you I can say this is a most delicious dish that is quick to prepare and just as easy to consume. The best thing is that the ingredients are likely to be what you already have in the pantry rather than having to do a special shop at the supermarket and buy more than you went in there for.
This recipe has been written for Thermomix owners however it is so easy that it can be converted to be done with a food processor. Instructions for the food processor in brackets.
- 130g pitted dates
- 2 eggs
- 120g unsalted butter
- 190g self raising flour
- 2 large overripe bananas (or 3 small ones)
- 1/4 teasp baking soda
- 50g milk
- 2 teasp vanilla essence
- Heat over to 160 degrees
- Wet baking paper and crush into a ball and line the loaf tin
- Make sure your thermomix bowl is dry and clean (food processor bowl) when you pour in the dates. Blitz dates 10 seconds, speed 10 (10 seconds, highest speed until finely chopped)
- Throw everything else in the bowl according to the above measurements.
- Mix 25 seconds, speed 5 (mix until blended well)
- Scrape down whatever is on the sides
- Final mix 5-10 seconds, speed 5 (mix for 5-10 seconds)
- Pour everything into the lined loaf tin
- Place in the pre heated oven for 60 mins. Test with a skewer in the middle of the loaf and if no mixture is stuck to it then ready to pull out of the oven.
- Allow to sit to cool for 10mins in the cake tin. Then pull out and remove baking paper and allow to cool on wire rack.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over the cake
- Spread butter icing over the top
- Before baking add walnuts to the top of the cake. Set into the cake mixture
- Deliciously served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
How to stay up-to-date
Do you have an opinion or have a favourite recipe you wish to share? The TREN community wants to hear your story.
Submit your news here.
Become a subscriber to TREN and eMagazine and be the first to receive local breaking stories, analysis and opinions on the Townsville real estate market.