Good ole Bread and Butter Pudding
Well my last recipe for Banana and Chocolate pudding got me thinking about the original Bread and Butter Pudding that I remember making from my childhood.
So I hunted through my Everyday Cookery recipe book for the traditional Bread and Butter pudding only to realise how simple it really is and what a delicious dessert to make on a cold winters night. Not to mention warm memories of family eating around the dinner table enjoying the pudding.
- 3 eggs
- 600ml milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6-8 slices bread
- Beat eggs well. Add milk, sugar, salt and vanilla. (If you are using a thermomix place all ingredients in bowl sp 4 20 seconds)
- Stir well until sugar has dissolved.
- Cut crusts off bread and butter.
- Cut bread into triangles.
- Pour blended mixture into greased baking dish until bottom is well covered.
- Arrange bread triangles in baking dish on top of blended mixture.
- Pour remaining mixture over bread triangles and leave to soak.
- Sprinkle sultanas over mixture. Sprinkle nutmeg all over dish.
- Place in slow over (approx 140 degrees) for 20 mins then check to see if custard set.
- If not set bake for another 10 mins then check. Continue until custard is set.
- Serve with fresh cream.
- When adding sultanas could also add dried cranberries for a different flavour.
Other favourite recipes
How to stay up-to-date
Do you have an opinion or have a favourite recipe you wish to share? The TREN community wants to hear your story.
Submit your news here.
Become a subscriber to TREN and eMagazine and be the first to receive local breaking stories, analysis and opinions on the Townsville real estate market.